Craft a Mario-Style Platformer in Phaser 3
Become a master at creating arcade-style platformer games with Phaser 3
- 2 Hours of Video
- Certificate of Completion
- Source Code
- Closed Captions
- On-demand, 24/7 access
- 2 hours of video
- Certificate of completion
- Source code and PDF notes
- Closed captions
With the massive resurgence of classic, arcade-style games, knowing how to make your own platformer is a must for any game developer. The great news is that with Phaser 3, this is easier than ever before! This course will walk you through creating your own platformer game – similar to that of Donkey Kong or Super Mario Bros – completely from scratch!
As you build the game, you will be given a grounded understanding of all of the basics of platformer game creation – knowledge that you can apply to creating your own unique game projects.
You’ll learn all about:
Phaser’s Arcade System
- Learn the basics of arcade physics
- Create new Arcade sprites
- Discover how to enable physics in existing Sprites
Movable and Immovable Objects
- Understand the difference between static and dynamic bodies
- How to disable bodies to make bodies immovable
- Creating tile sprites
- Detecting collision and overlap
- Implementing and animating walking and jumping mechanics
- Detecting player inpunt (via arrow/cursor key presses)
- Restricting player movement to the world bounds
- Detecting when a sprite is being blocked
- Creating a looped event
- Generating barrels which bounce off level edges
- Destroying barrels after a certain point in time
- Learn about how you can recycle your objects with object pooling so you don’t have destroy them
….and much more!
Frameworks and tools covered: Phaser 3.9.0, npm 5.6, Node.js 8.11
Your Courses, Your Way
All of our project-based courses are designed to be flexible – you can access courses 24/7 to fit them around your schedule, and choose the learning materials that suit you best.
You can even download your course videos and watch them offline using the Zenva app, available on iOS and Android.
Learn from World-Class Instructors
Our course instructors participate in elite developer programs and have been recognized for their demonstrated excellence in development and teaching.
That way, you can be confident that you’re learning the most up-to-date content from industry experts.
Interactive Lessons with Codemurai
Our unlimited access package comes with free access to all of the courses in our mobile app, Codemurai!
Available on iOS and Android, it’s full of interactive programming lessons and exercises so you can continue your learning on the go.
Achieve Real Results
Our community of 1,000,000+ learners and developers have used the skills learned with us to publish their own games and websites, land their dream jobs, and even start their own businesses – and you have the potential to do the same!
Check out what our learners think below:
I love the lectures, concise course objectives, and how they not only teach you enough to get started, but prepare you for the advanced stuff later down the road.
– Mihir Patel
With Zenva, I started learning a more accurate way to approach problems and develop solutions. It’s full of interesting topics that I love to learn in conjunction with my work.
– Monica Mancusi
I chose Zenva because of the large selection of topics and the fact that I can choose what courses I want to take whenever I want to take them. That level of freedom is unique to Zenva.
– Craig Bickford
The Unity courses at Zenva helped me achieve a level of comfort with game development that I didn’t think was possible. They give you the confidence to expand your skills, and were so easy to understand.
– Andrea Cardenas-Roeder
- Basic understanding of Phaser
- Familiarity with working with sprites and scenes, and with setting up a development environment
OR access ALL Zenva courses with our subscription.
- Access all 250+ courses
- New courses added monthly
- Cancel anytime
- Certificates of completion