Game Character Customization with UMA
Learn how to easily create unique, customizable characters with the Unity Multipurpose Avatar System.
This title is part of the RPG Academy
RPGs that provide players with the ability to customize their avatar can significantly improve player experience and maximize their immersion in the game. One of the most popular ways to implement this feature is by using the Unity Multipurpose Avatar System (UMA). Including all of the code needed to build unique characters from simple recipes, and supporting the ability to import custom models and meshes, UMA is downloadable for free on the asset store and makes creating customizable player characters easier than ever.
From downloading and importing UMA, to loading saved characters into your game, this course will provide you with all you need to know to get started with UMA. You will learn how to:
- Understand the concept of Custom DNA, and how it can be used to alter a character’s physical attributes (gender, race, skin, height, muscle, weight, the shape of different features, and more)
- Create customizable hair and wardrobe with a system that handles equipping
- Build and define set character changes for your game
- Rotate the character using a mouse
- Build a sleek UI, featuring sliders for altering DNA attributes, and buttons for changing slots and creating/saving a character
- Link the UI to the UMA character attributes
About the RPG Academy
The RPG Academy is the world’s first on-demand curriculum designed to teach ANYONE how to code and build impressive 2D and 3D RPG games. Craft your own enticing and dangerous worlds with Unity, a free and highly popular game development engine, and discover just how rewarding it can be to see your players explore the adventures that you’ve created for them.
Basic knowledge of Unity and C#