Create Reusable Crafting Systems in Unity
Learn how to code your own Inventory and Crafting System inspired by Minecraft! Drag and drop items in your crafting window, create recipes and add tooltip descriptions!
This title is part of the Game Development Mini-Degree – Build 2D, 3D, Mobile, Virtual Reality, and Augmented Reality Games
Need to add an Inventory and Crafting System to your game? Or maybe you’re just curious as to how such systems work? This course got you covered! You’ll learn how to organize your data by creating the Item and Recipes objects and how should the system’s database look. You’ll also go through the inventory logic like drag and drop, adding and removing items and much more! Let’s take a closer look at what you’ll be able to do at the end of this course:
What you’ll learn
- Define the Item Data Structure using Scripts in Unity – learn what information should be stored in an Item object
- Define the Recipe Data Structure using Scripts in Unity – learn what information should be stored in an Recipe object
- Create the Item Database – create a database to store all your items info – define your own name and descriptions!
- Create the Recipe Database – create a database to store all your recipes info – define your own recipes!
- Define methods to retrieve the items and recipes from the database as you use them in your game
- Define methods to check if the recipe is correct, create a new item while destroying the ingredients
- Create an Inventory Class to handle inventory logic – add methods to add and remove items from the player’s inventory
- Create the UI Inventory and Crafting Grid
- Create Slot panels for each of the grids – recipes can be defined either with specific slots in the crafting window or just a combination of items
- Create interactable UI Objects – add drag-and-drop logic to your UI!
- Create a Tooltip UI Object – show descriptions when your mouse hovers over an item
About the Game Development Mini-Degree
The Game Development Mini-Degree is the most extensive assortment of courses dedicated to shaping you into a master of various fields in game development. Whether you’re a novice, or an adept game developer, this Mini-Degree is what you need to learn the latest in game development. You’ll pick up a whole slew of new technologies ranging from 2D, 3D, Mobile, and Web-based games, to Augmented and Virtual Reality projects. Enroll in the greatest game development bundle this side of the galaxy today.
Intermediate C# and Unity skills