Reading Data from APIs with Python
Discover how to use Python to retrieve and parse data through the powerful tools provided by APIs.
This title is part of the Data Science Mini-Degree
Data from the real world is rarely presented in a way that is perfect for analysis – as such, knowing how to properly extract and clean data is therefore an integral skill for all data scientists. This course will walk you through how to use Python to retrieve and parse data through the powerful tools provided by APIs.
In this course, you will learn how to:
- Understand what APIs, JSON files and XML files are, and how to use them
- Make URL requests to retrieve data
- Retrieve, format and parse JSON data using the JSON library, and XML data using the BeautifulSoup library
- Write XML and JSON data to a CSV file
- Read XML and JSON data from a local file
About the Data Science Mini-Degree
The Data Science Mini-Degree is a collection of professional-grade online courses designed to take you from absolute beginner to industry-ready Data Scientist with Python. From the basics of reading and storing data, to using statistical analysis to solve real-world problems, and visualizing your data in beautiful plots and charts, this comprehensive curriculum features everything you need to get started in the industry.
- Basic knowledge of Python and Jupyter Notebook
- Have BeautifulSoup installed (just run pip install bs4 from terminal)