Learn the foundations of how to procedurally generate terrain by setting up your own algorithms within Unity. Beginning with a simple plane mesh, you’ll then learn how to algorithmically generate a terrain’s shape with C#, and how to determine textures, biomes, how trees spawn, and more. Additionally, you’ll master how to apply these skills to any map size while accounting for performance, allowing you to implement procedural generation in numerous game projects, increasing their replayability.
You will learn how to:
- Generate noise maps to determine the shape of the terrain
- Utilize noise maps as height maps to produce terrain
- Apply gradient textures to a mesh based on terrain shape
- Set up heat maps and moisture maps based on the terrain height
- Combine various data elements to algorithmically determine biomes
- Use biome types to determine how trees spawn