Web Scraping with Python and BeautifulSoup
Learn how to capture data from the web by scraping websites using Python and BeautifulSoup.
This title is part of the Data Science Mini-Degree
Gathering data from a web page is known as web scraping, and is typically performed either by fetching web page via URL and reading the data directly online, or by reading the data from a saved HTML file. Understanding web scraping is a skill crucial to anyone interested in data science or those just looking to obtain information from web pages.
This course covers:
- Downloading and installing the Python library BeautifulSoup
- Inspecting a web page to identify the relevant data
- Scraping and parsing the data using BeautifulSoup (formatting it into arrays and variables)
- Storing and sanitizing the data in a correctly formatted CSV sheet
- Reading from local HTML files instead of URLs
- How to read non-table data
About the Data Science Mini-Degree
The Data Science Mini-Degree is a collection of professional-grade online courses designed to take you from absolute beginner to industry-ready Data Scientist with Python. From the basics of reading and storing data, to using statistical analysis to solve real-world problems, and visualizing your data in beautiful plots and charts, this comprehensive curriculum features everything you need to get started in the industry.
Basic knowledge of Python and Jupyter Notebook