About the business
Zenva is a fast-paced and growing startup, centered around online education on technology subjects. Our customers are self-driven, life-long learners whom we empower to advance their careers and reach their goals with our vibrant range online courses.
We teach game development, virtual reality, machine learning, and other programming-related subjects. Our courses have been taken by over 400,000 learners worldwide and the quality of our work has been recognized by companies such as Facebook (Oculus), Intel, and Unity Technologies.
About the role
We are looking for a senior developer to take ownership of various technical and product development processes, with a strong focus on reviewing, integrating and deploying the work of our outsourced development team of ~3.
Our technology stack is a combination of time-tested frameworks running at scale in our e-learning platform (WordPress, MySQL, jQuery), and newer technologies (Ionic, Node.js, Azure, containers) used in exciting new features we are developing, such as a gamification layer and a mobile app.
Since our product is live and serving thousands of users, we are after someone who can prioritize reliability and stability, while also being an innovator who incrementally leads the improvement our platform with newer methodologies and frameworks. Plenty of space will be provided for upskilling and learning some of these newer tools.
- Assign tasks, review code and work of our remote team of ~3, providing them with feedback to help improve their workflows.
- Interpret user feedback and bug reports into actionable technical requirements
- Manage deployments and updates to the live site and cloud infrastructure.
- Carry out style tweaks, bug fixes and minor improvements to the site and server.
- Suggest and implement incremental improvements to our tech stack, infrastructure and overall processes.
- Life-balance approach. We expect you to work hard within reasonable hours
- Open to discussing daily working hours and flexible arrangements
- Space to develop new skills and grow within the company
- Office located in a vibrant innovation space in the Brisbane CBD
Required skills and experience
- Experience with the WordPress API
- Ability to manage the backlog of a small remote development team
- Excellent written communication skills
- A pragmatic approach to the incremental improvement of systems, and comfortable using a combination of existing and emerging technologies
Not required but desirable (training can be provided)
- Woocommerce API
- Containers technology
- AWS, Azure or similar
- Node.js / Express / Mongo
- Angular / Ionic / Cordova
- Some exposure to mobile development
Must have permanent working rights in Australia